Westchester Chordsmen Scholarship Fund
The Westchester Chordsmen Chorus, located in Westchester County, NY, is a chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society. As a musical, educational, non-profit organization, our mission is to spread the joy of singing and harmonizing around our community and around the world. As part of that mission, we have established a scholarship to support students entering college who desire to study vocal music as a Major or Minor and who intend to participate as a soloist or in vocal groups.
- A $2,500 scholarship will be awarded, payable in a lump sum in June to a graduating high school senior who is admitted to college and expresses a desire to study vocal performance. Please note that the Chordsmen have donated this initial amount. However, fund-raising efforts will focus on adding to this amount.
- Men and women who attend high schools (public or private) in the greater Westchester County, NY area with demonstrated vocal skills, singly or in groups, are eligible.
- Applications, which summarize the applicant’s musical education, skill and experience and which describe the applicant’s higher education plans (including their status in the application process for their intended of the colleges or musical schools), are submitted by May 13th 2023 to the Westchester Chordsmen Board of Directors.
- Applicants must submit a video DVD, audio CD or flash drive (mp3 or mp4) and/or a link with demonstrations of their vocal skills, including performances. These may be accompanied or unaccompanied, solo or group performances.
- Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation from individuals other than an immediate relative. The individuals who write these letters of recommendation for the applicant must be adults with musical credentials (experience and/or training credentials should be detailed in the letter). The letters must be signed and dated. Recommendations may be submitted from the applicant’s vocal coach, choral director, and/or musical theatre director, etc.
- A committee of three to seven individuals with musical and/or theatrical training and qualifications who have been appointed by the Westchester Chordsmen Board of Directors will review and evaluate the application materials submitted. The review committee may consist of local area musical educators and active Westchester Chordsmen members, the latter constituting a majority of the committee, including the Youth-in-Harmony VP and the Chorus Musical Director.
- The winner will be announced as close to the winning student’s graduation date as possible.
- Requirements Please note that submission details stated on the previous page.
Deadline for applications is May 13, 2023.
All applications will be reviewed by our committee. All applicants will be notified by email of their status and the eventual winner.